Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Critical Review of Talis' White Paper

The paper is most useful as a basic introduction to the principles of Library 2.0, and the changing needs of its users. Most valuable are the principles of collaboration amongst libraries and users, and the opening up of information on library collections. A definition of the library is absent, and this must be an essential component of the discussion. M. Crawford argues that “public libraries have never been most people’s primary source of current information” (2006, 2). Chad and Miller may intend to rework the role through these technological changes, but it is not clear as little explanation of the function of the library is given. The perspective of these authors is inherently biased due to their employment with Talis. It is necessary to view this white paper as a commercial marketing tool, with a specific aim of establishing Talis as the leader on thoughts of Library 2.0. Changes in technology will continue to evolve the library’s delivery of service, and important suggestions about the future have been put forward by Chad and Miller.

Chad, K. & P. Miller. (2005). Do libraries matter?: The rise of Library 2.0. Talis White

Paper. Retrieved October 16, 2007, from, http://www.talis.com/applications/

downloads/white_papers/DoLibrariesMatter.pdf

Crawford, W. (2006). Library 2.0 and “Library 2.0”. Cites and Insights: Crawford at

Large, 6, 2. YPB Library Services. Retrieved October 17, 2007, from

http://citesandinsights.info/oldvol.htm

4 comments:

Klara said...

Hi.
It sounds like you were much kinder to Chad and Miller in your paper than I was. I think that their bias really clouded my vision and I was unable to extract as many positives about their work as you were. kudos!

Andrea G. said...

This sounds quite similar to what many other students said about the white paper. As Klara pointed out, it is great that you seemed to find a few more positive attributes than others. I also think that the white paper had some important contributions, such as providing a brief introductory overview of Library 2.0. It can be quite useful to those that are unfamiliar with the concept.

Mark Swartz said...

Seems our ideas on the Miller and Chad piece were quite similar ... I found benefits in spite of the bias because many of their ideas about Libary 2.0 appealed to me on some kind of base level ... nice to read someone who (I think) had similar thoughts.

Anonymous said...

I agree, there was a definite absence of a clear 'library definition' and its relationship to Library 2.0. Also, it seems like I was one of the few who was a little nicer in reviewing this paper; although an obvious marketing tool it does give a general overview of Library 2.0 and its implementation.